Lexicata’s “Quick Intake” feature enables you to add a potential client to your pipeline for tracking, follow up, and intake.
The Quick Intake feature can be accessed from virtually anywhere in Lexicata by clicking the “Quick Intake” button in the top navigation bar.
It’s designed to be fast and easy to use so that users get in the habit of entering all their potential clients into the system.
What Quick Intake Does
When you fill out the Quick Intake form, both a contact and a matter are created simultaneously.
The contact that gets created should be the primary person or company that will potentially become your client.
The matter will be the centralized record of all details related to the potential client’s legal issue. This can include appointments, tasks, emails, intake forms, documents, important files, and any other information gathered during the intake process.
You will input the basic details for the potential client (the contact) as well as their legal issue or potential case (the matter) all at the same time.
- Name: both a first and last name are required in order to create the contact.
- Phone: optional.
- Email: optional.
- Contact Type: creates different categories or groups of contacts in your CRM (e.g. Leads, Clients, Referral Partners, Friends, etc.). You should almost always use Lead or Client when filling out Quick Intake because it is intended for contacts which have a potential legal matter. Contact Type is not required but will default to “Lead.”
- Lead Source: identifies the way that a potential client discovered your law firm (e.g. an advertisement or by referral). Lead source is not required but will default to “Unassigned.”
- Tags: tags are used to segment contacts into custom lists or groups. Multiple tags can be applied to each contact to have them included in multiple segments. Tags are optional.
- Matter Type: the matter type is meant to describe the specific kind of legal issue which the potential client is facing (e.g. DUI, LLC Formation, Trademark Infringement, Contested Divorce, etc.). Matter type is required.
- Location: the location field can be used to identify where the matter occurred, which office this matter is for, where the client is located, the courthouse, or any other relevant location. Location is optional.
- Value: the value field is intended to be the total amount of legal fees expected to be earned. It is optional, so you can always update this later when you have more info.
- Note: creating a note is a great way to add more info about the matter, perhaps from an initial email or phone call exchanged with the potential client. It is optional.
- User Assignment: a matter must be assigned to at least one user in your Lexicata account. It will default to the user who creates the matter.
When to Use Quick Intake
The Quick Intake is the primary method of creating a new potential matter in the system. Whether it is a new potential client or a new matter for an existing client, Quick Intake is always used to create a potential matter in the system.
Even if the the lead is not interested in hiring you, we still recommend going through the Quick Intake process for data-keeping and reporting purposes.
How to Customize the Quick Intake Form
The fields on the Quick Intake form can be customized to fit the needs of your law firm. Below is a list of all the ways to customize the Quick Intake form.
Customizing Matter Types
You can customize your list of matter types from your matter settings.
Customizing Lead Sources
You can customize your list of lead sources from your contact settings.
You can customize your list of locations from your matter settings.
Adding Contact Custom Fields
Contact custom fields can be used to add more in-depth information about the contact you are creating, beyond just their name and basic contact info. You can create contact custom fields and add them to your Quick Intake form from the custom fields settings page.
Adding Matter Custom Fields
Matter custom fields are used to collect customized information regarding the matter that is not already collected by the default matter fields. You can create matter custom fields and add them to your Quick Intake form from the custom fields settings page.
Customizing the Tags on Quick Intake
You can create and manage tags from your contact settings.
Preventing Duplicate Contacts
The Quick Intake feature has built-in functionality to help avoid duplicate contacts or matters from being created.
Automatic Duplicate Contact Search
The quick intake feature will automatically search for names of contacts already in the system that are similar to the contact getting added. This allows users to detect if a duplicate entry is about to be entered.
Add A New Matter to An Existing Contact
If a contact has more than one legal matter with your firm you will want to create multiple matters for the contact to track each matter individually. The quick intake feature can be used to create a new matter with an existing contact.
Users can be assigned to the matter from the quick intake form using the "Assigned To" field. When users are first assigned to a matter they will receive an email notifying them of their inclusion on the matter and will also receive all future notification emails regarding that specific matter.
Matter assignments are useful to let other users know about a new potential client in the system, and they will also allow you to filter the pipeline so that each user can focus only on the matters to which they are assigned, while other matters will be hidden from view. Users can be assigned or removed from a matter at any point via the "edit matter" function on the matter page.