The pipeline, which is displayed on the first page of the dashboard, is a visual representation of your firm’s matter pipeline. At any given moment you can see how many matters are in each of your stage of the process (these stages correspond to matter statuses and are customizable). Think about the pipeline as an observation deck for seeing and managing where all of your matters are at any given time.
Feature of the Pipeline
[snapshot of sample pipeline coming]
Below is a list of all the elements that make up your pipeline:
- Matter card: Each matter that is created on your account will display on your pipeline. The location of the matter on the pipeline will depend on what current matter status is assigned to the matter.
- Statuses: The matter statuses are stages of your pipeline. These status are completely customizable and can be dragged to be arranged in any order. The concept behind the statuses is to move a matter through the matter statuses as the intake process progresses. As a result, it is recommended that the statuses be related to the steps involved in the intake process.
- Info button: The info button allows the user to see a quick snapshot of the matter from the dashboard. The info includes the matter details, related contacts, notes, and submitted forms and documents.
- Pipeline Categories: There are 3 pipeline categories: “Intake”, “Hired”, and “Did Not Hire”. Each category can have its own matter statuses that will help categorize your matters. For example, in the “Did Not Hire” category creating statuses such as “Not Enough Money”, “Referred Out” etc will allow you to differentiate the reasons why the contact was not retained.
- Filter: The filter will allow the user to filter the dashboard to only the matters that a certain user is assigned to. This is very helpful when you want to narrow down the dashboard to only those matters that are assigned to yourself.
Using the pipeline effectively
Using the pipeline effectively is extremely important in keeping your matters and intake process up to date and relevant. Pipelines that are not updated frequently become stale and do not reflect the true state of the firm’s intake channel.
Below are some tips on how to keep your pipeline efficient and up to date.
- Create statuses that relate to your intake process. If your intake typically has 5 stages (First contact, Schedule Appointment, Send Intake Form, Follow Up, Send Fee Agreement), then those should be your intake pipeline’s matter statuses.
- Moving Matters through Pipeline as statuses are completed. Any time one of these steps is completed for a specific matter then the matter statuses should be updated to reflect that progress. This way you will see your matters move through the pipeline as the intake process advances and they won’t get left behind in a status that they are no longer in.
- Move stale matters to a certain column. If you do not hear back from a contact after a certain amount of time then their related matter should be moved into a column where all “stale” matters are collected. This will keep the other statuses free of matters that are not currently active.
- Filter your Pipeline. If your account has a lot of matters on your dashboard then you may want to filter the dashboard to only display those that you are assigned to. This will help in finding/viewing your matters and will make updating the matters easier.
Customizing the Pipeline
Customizing the pipeline according to your intake process is very important. While your account does come with some standard matter statuses, we highly recommend creating your own statuses that reflect your intake process.
Adding new statuses to your pipeline is very simple. Go to your setting page and find the Matter tab. Here you will be able to add new statuses to any of the three pipeline categories (Intake, Hired, Did Not Hire) as well as edit any of the existing ones.
Once the matter statuses are added to your pipeline, you may notice that they are not in the correct order. The concept is to have the earliest matter statuses on the left and the statuses closest to retention on the right. To adjust the order of the statuses, simply click and hold the header of the matter status column and drag it to the desired location.