Workflows are essentially a virtual checklist of items that have been completed or still need to be completed. Workflows allow users to take actions on their matters and display their to-do list in chronological order. Items can be added to the workflow either as single items or as a template. Templates are basically just a pre-determined list of items that appear as a group.
Once an item is on the workflow you will be provided with the details of the item as well as an update to status.
As items are completed on the workflow they can be checked off by the user to indicate completion. The progress bar at the top of the workflow will show what percentage of workflow items have been completed.
Types of Items
- Tasks: Create tasks to remind yourself or users to complete an action before a due date
- Emails: Draft a new email or use an email template to send a correspondence to any contact on the matter
- Appointments: Schedule an appointment with a client and send a confirmation email
- Forms: Send intake forms to the contact or fill them out yourself
- Documents: Send an E-Signable document via email to the contact or have them e-sign the document in person
- Workflow Templates: Workflow Templates are pre-built list of workflow items (Emails, Tasks, Appointments, Forms & Docs). This is very helpful in creating repeatable workflows for specific matter types.
- Email Campaigns: Email campaigns a serious of automated emails that are sent out on a pre-determined schedule. Email campaigns are great for marketing purposes and keeping in touch with contacts without having to manually check in with them.
Adding Workflow Items & Templates
Adding Workflow items can be done in two methods; either individually or in a template. When items are added to the workflow the most recent items appear at the bottom of the workflow.
Individual items will appear on the workflow as stand alone items whereas workflow templates will appear as a block of items with the name of the template located at the top of the template.
When individual items are added to the workflow they will also appear on the timeline as an activity, making it very easy to track the progress of the matter over time.
Every item on the workflow will display a status depending on which stage it is currently in. Each items statuses are listed and described below.
- Pending: All tasks will have a status of pending as soon as they are created. They will also have a pending status regardless of whether the task is past due or not.
- Complete: Checking the box on the checklist will mark the task as “Complete”.
- Ready: When an email is added to the matter as part of a workflow template and that email has no scheduled send time it will display as “Ready”
- Scheduled: When an email is scheduled to go out a later date it will have a status of “scheduled”
- Canceled: Displayed when a scheduled email is canceled
- Sent: Will display once the email is successfully sent
- Not Scheduled: When an appointment is added to the matter as part of a workflow template but has not yet been set up yet it will display as not scheduled
- Scheduled: Once the appointment has been set up it was display as “scheduled”
- Canceled: Displayed when an appointment is canceled
- Ready: When a form is added to the matter as part of a workflow template it will display a status of “Ready”
- Pending: Once the form has been sent via email or has started to be filled out in person it will have a status of “Pending”
- Submitted: Will display once the form has been submitted
- Not Prepared: When a document is added to a matter as part of a workflow template it will have a status of “Not Prepared”
- Draft: Once the document has entered the drafting phase it will have a status of draft. If a signature request is canceled the document will revert to the draft phase
- Ready: If a document has been drafted but is exited out of before it is sent it will have the status of ready. From the ready status you will be able to finish the preparation process and have the document signed
- Pending: While the document is out for signature it will have the status of pending
- Submitted: Will display once the form has been signed by all parties and is submitted
Removing Workflow Items
Removing items from the workflow can be done via the item’s "Options" drop down. If the item is pending, such as a scheduled appointment, scheduled email, pending form or pending document then the item will need to be canceled before it can be deleted.
Templates are a great way to create systematic workflows that do not vary much. This will also save the users the time of having to put each individual item on the workflow.
Workflow templates are created in the settings page on the Matters tab. When creating templates you will be able to add:
- Emails: Can be scheduled to be sent out automatically at a pre-determined amount of time after the template has been applied to the workflow.
- Tasks: Tasks can be created and assigned to specific users in the template
- Appointments: Specific Appointment descriptions can be added into a template
- Forms: Specific forms can be added to the template
- Documents: Specific documents can be added to the template
When creating the template items can be dragged and dropped into their correct order.
Related How Tos